Monday, October 22, 2007

Star Wars Opening PowerPoint

Good morning everyone.

It's 4:25 AM CST (no matter what this blog post actually says, it's never really right). I am working on my presentation for the Minnesota Library Association. I wanted to do some kind of pre-presentation presentation for folks to enjoy; it would also give me the opportunity to share some disclaimers and contact information, etc. I'm in one of those moods... so I decided to use a Star Wars theme. With a little animation and color, it's much easier than you'd think.

For your Title Slide:
1. Find some kind of starry night background and apply it to all of your slides.
2. Visit Gallery Far Away for the Star Wars font. Add your Star Wars font to your font folder (Start, Control Panel, Fonts).
3. Open a new PowerPoint presentation. Remove the main title text box.
4. Select WordArt. I think that the best selection for this is the white-to-rainbow choice, which in 2003 is 5 across, 5 down. However, play with it as need be. For my needs, I chose size 36.
5. For your sub-title, change the font to Franklin Gothic Demi Cond, color bright blue.

For your Text Slides:
1. I find it's best just to use Word Art for this as well. However, please note that using Word Art limits the amount of text that you can fit on a slide.
2. The best for this is the Word Art with the shadow (in 2003, it's 3 across, 4 down).
3. Again, select Franklin Gothic Demi Cond as your font. Size 20 worked for me, although you may have to adjust. You may also have to shorten your lines to make the text fit right. Just hit enter at the ends of words, like a return carriage on the typewriter.
4. You may want to change the color for a little authenticity. To do so, on the Word Art toolbar, select the Format WordArt icon (the paint can). On the colors and lines tab, select Fill Effects. Choose two colors - I chose a blue and yellow - and leave the shading style as horizontal.
5. Now, you must make your word art move. To do so, right-click on the word art and select Custom Animation. Choose the following:
a. Entrance - Fly In - From Bottom - Very Slow
b. Exit - Fly Out - After Previous - To Top - Very Slow (add in a delay if you want folks to have more time to read your content)
c. Exit - Fade - With Previous - Very Slow - right click and select timing, then put it on a 5 second delay.


You may have to play around with the timing a bit to get it to match your needs.
If you want to see it work, let me know and I'll send you the presentation.

The moral of the story is: you can waste a lot of time when you have insomnia.

3 comments:

Amy Springer said...

Emily! I can't wait for your presentation. Try to get some zzzzzzzz's before Thursday :)

Een said...

Thanks a lot ! Your post was very helpful, late this night, trying to patch together a nice presentation for my friend's wedding this week end ! Cheers !

-B said...

Thanks Alot! Im in highschool and we're doing presentations on things through the decades and I chose Star Wars! This was extremely helpful!