Sunday, July 25, 2010

Cheaper by the (un)Dozen

In an effort to consolidate my shopping this morning, I decided to buy some groceries at Target (not a successful consolidation, as our Target - unlike those fantastic behemoths of the north, is a glorified convenience store when it comes to food). I was, however, grateful to find eggs. I was also grateful to find picnic/soda bins on clearance (in red!), and so in an effort to be environmentally friendlier, I asked the nice checkout lady to pack my scant items into the bin. And, she did so... until she came to the eggs.

"I'll just put these eggs into a bag to keep them from cracking." And then she put them in a plastic bag, which she placed on top of the groceries in the soda bin. Now, had I been bagging my groceries alone, I'd have put the eggs in the top of the soda bin. I suppose, though, that this nice checkout lady thought that the plastic bag served as some super-barrier for the eggs.

Alas, she thought incorrect, since as I put the bin the back of my car, I set the (too heavy) bin down to hard and the eggs practically hopped out, opened, and promptly cracked up with laughter at our joint foolishness. Well, not all of them cracked up. 7 of them were too upset to even smile, thankfully.

No comments: